Friday, 14 May 2010

i am a meat eater


Therefore the 'Rootmaster' bus on Brick Lane did not paticularly cater for my needs. Drawn in by the novelty bus-restaurant format, I somehow managed to overlook the fact that the whole menu was vegan when scanning over it, and boarded the bus with high spirits (as an afterthought, the name 'Rootmaster' is a bit of a give away).

You can't help but notice the bus on Ely's Yard round the corner from Rough Trade, and I'd been wanting to go on it for a while, and sure inside was a pretty cosy set up, but the suspension does jiggle you around a bit, especially when people are clambering up and down the stairs. The smell of food wafting up to the top floor from the kitchen below promised unknown exotic titbits, but the reality was nowhere near as exciting.

The 'cranberry' drink I ordered turned out to be the most bizarre fizzy affair and got cast aside, and the starter of bread with balsamic vinegar (or something) was also a major let down. For my main dish I had a butternut squash curry type concoction with rice, herbs and the occasional trace of mushroom, which although delcious, was scarce. I was left feeling like one of my own curries would be more satisfying, and also cheaper. Although the flavour of the meal was lovely- I do love butternut squash - the overall effect was bland and just lacking, well er, meat. So be forewarned, climb aboard if you want to drink herbal tea and the like, or actually are, you know, a vegan, but if you aren't I'd stick to cafe 1001 or the foodhall, personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment