Thursday, 24 June 2010

let them eat cake

And so, after months of anticipation of the ubiquitous Hummingbird Bakery I finally stumbled across its recongnisable signage peeking out from a road near South Kensington tube station. A completely unexpected discovery, I was quite excited to finally reach this holy grail after months of being told by friends (who don't even live in London) how amazing their cupcakes were. I had frequently seen people on the tube clutching distinguishable pastel pink paper bags, and now I was to have one of my own!





On entering the shop nothing paticularly jumped out at me as amazing. Yes the cupcakes behind the counter did look delicious but there didn't seem to be that many to choose from and the shop was tiny. After a little deliberation I settled for a red velvet cupcake, their best seller and at the hefty sum of £2 (you could buy a whole meal for that much elsewhere...okay maybe not but at least a whole cake, or 2) I was expecting a savoury delight nothing short of amazing.

Too bad. The cream cheese frosting icing was, yes, sweet and calorifically delicious, but the sponge accompanying it was nothing to write home about, other than the fact it was an aesthetically pleasing deep crimson shade. More pleasing was the black bottom cupcake, consisting of chocolate sponge, though to be honest I'd rather have one of my Grandma's cakes anyday, or failing that a happily cobbled together Sara Lee DIY job.

No comments:

Post a Comment