So perhaps I should have at least watched the trailer before I went to see this, but silly me just saw the bill board advert for it/read the raving reviews and thought oh that will be lovely. If I had seen the trailer I think I would have been a little more cynical, though the Strokes background music would have won me over.
Little did I know that this very song, accompanying a montage of scenes featured in the trailer, would be the highlight of this vapid one and half hour waste of my life.
Revolving around the life of womanising actor Johnny Marco (played by Stephen Dorff),the film lacks any real action, emotion or purpose. Yes, perhaps this is meant to convey the empty celebrity lifestyle, devoid of morals and traditional values and instead filled with women, booze, and that blasted Ferrari Johnny rides around in aimlessly all film, we get it, but why do we want to spend so long focussing on it?

The arrival of Clio, Johnny's 11year old daughter played by Elle Fanning, you would think would herald some sort of cathartic journey (probably after some sort of emotional turmoil over his unglamourous parental duties/empty life) but no. Instead we see him unhappily reflecting quietly for most of the film, this culminating in one of the worst endings I have ever seen.
Somewhere is prosaic, lifeless and definitely in my top 5 worst films of all time, on a par with United 93 and that film where people are involved in some sort of accident and swim about in shark infested waters waiting to be saved all film, can't even remember the name of it. Poor show.


No comments:
Post a Comment