Friday, 15 April 2011

Howl


A good few months after its release, I finally got around to watching Howl. Opting for a matinee showing at The Lighthouse Cinema in Wolverhampton was a good choice, £3.50 for the film AND a free cup of tea!

The story centres around Allen Ginsberg's most famous poem of the same name, the film split into the dramatisation of the trial the book's original publisher faced claiming it was obscene, readings of the poem with accompanying animation and interviews with the poet (Ginsberg played by James Franco).



Although the animation sheds light upon the subject matter and makes the poem more accessible, I thought it was a little simplistic, and could have been a lot more interesting given the subject matter.

Overall the film was very engaging though, and made me want to go home and read the book from cover to cover (I'm ashamed to admit that I have still yet to do this, previous attempts/lack of concentration rendering me short), definitely go see it if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment