I've heard good reviews about Urban Pie and make my way there as quickly as is possible in my delicate state, clutching my orange tango gingerly.
On arrival I am distinctly underwhelmed by the menu and lack of choice. True all of the standard pies (ie cheese & onion, steak & mushroom, chicken etc) are present but there is nothing particularly exciting on offer. I opt for steak & mushroom, and then survey the rest of my options, firstly, mash or garlic mash. There is no cheesey mash, so I play it safe and go for the mash sans garlic. I also have some garden peas and gravy, obligatory accompaniments for any pie combo.
At the till is my first disappointment, as my meal comes to a hefty £7.10. I begrudgingly part with the cash and make my way to sit outside and try my long awaited meal, but not before grappling with the not so handy packaging it's presented in, an oh so chic box which doubles as a plate.
Finally I am in, and the mash is a distinct anti-climax. Neither light nor fluffy, it is not buttery enough and is a dense mess, handmade or not I am disgruntled I paid £1.85 for it, and such a small amount at that. The garden peas do little to redeem the situation, and so I turn to the main event, the pie.
It looks delicious, and even has a charming little edible tag/label, if you will, on top sporting the company logo. Sadly, this is the most exciting thing about it. The pastry is heavy and tedious, the filling ok but not outstanding. I feel robbed.
On their website they claim, “At urban pie our passion is to create gourmet, handmade pies, deep filled with the finest ingredients” but I see little evidence to support this. Perhaps if they spent more time on the quality of their food instead of their aesthetic, they would fare better.
For real pie and mash I would recommend Manze's, cheap, cheerful and most importantly delicious.


No comments:
Post a Comment