Monday, 30 May 2011

London Loves Lidos

Today I made it out of the pool and into the lido, the London Fields Lido in Hackney, to be precise, and it was quite an experience.

Walking onto the pool side I was greeted by a sea of coloured lockers and a beautifully blue pool, it immediately felt like I was on holiday. After getting changed I edged into the water and the coldness of it took my breath away, even though it was a sunny day, and I hastily plunged into my usual training routine.




It felt like I was swimming in the sea. Swept around by the waves and hit with the briskness of the cold water, my usually pretty good technique was rendered mediocre at best, my already slightly dodgy backstroke becoming a complete shambles as I veered across the entire lane width, mesmerised by the brilliant blue sky overhead.

After a few lengths however I settled into my training, and also realised part of the reason I'd been struggling was that it was a 50 metre pool, and I'm used to a 25 metre one.

I was pretty disgruntled when the lifeguard told me I couldn't do breaststroke in the fast lane, but moved to medium quietly and encountered no problems except an annoying old man doing a very slow backstroke.



In the same way treadmill running is nothing like street running, swimming in a lido felt completely different to pool swimming, like half way between pool and sea; and I think made swimming a lot more difficult.

Plus points included the beautiful view of the sky overhead and the fresh air, minus points included being blinded by the sun and finding bits of leaf in your swimming costume after.

It was also pretty pricey £4.50 for non-members, a far cry from the 60p at my local pool. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable experience and one I think I'd do again, especially now it's summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment