Sunday, 8 May 2011

Sunday Salvation



As a student with limited culinary skills, I spent a good few months sorely missing the weekly tradition of the Sunday Roast. Luckily quite recently I stumbled across the Montague Arms in Peckham, a cosy pub filled with an array of antiquities and taxidermy offering a delicious Sunday menu.

The first time I looked at the handwritten menu I was not expecting much, another pub offering not fit to compare to the home cooking I had grown to love. On first bite of my roast beef I knew how wrong I had been. The meat was juicy and flavoursome, the vegetables varied and plentiful and the yorkshire and roast potatoes first class. As if this weren't enough this sumptous feast was followed by home made apple pie and cream, which I somehow managed to make room for (it would have been a crime not to).

Other options on the menu I've worked my way through are lamb (so tasty) and Sportsman's chicken, i.e chicken wrapped in bacon in a cider and apple sauce; but I wasn't too keen on that; the bacon was a bit stringy. There's also a steak pie which looks lovely, and the option with most meals to go 'jumbo' for a little extra, something I would urge anyone in their right mind to do.

Quite frankly, my Mum's Sunday roasts are just not the same anymore, they are no longer one of the highlights of my trips home (not that I dare tell her). The prices for these delcious dishes are also excellent, most costing around £6-7, including desert. I would recommend this place to anyone, but suggest you get there early as it gets busy quick, which is completely understandable.


No comments:

Post a Comment